I actually wasn’t planning on posting about the sale because I feel like our social feeds are SO saturated with everyone and their mother posting about it, and being a type 8 I didn’t want to do something just because everyone else was.
BUT. I also wanted to present you with a very balanced way of approaching sales like these so that you can find a happy medium like I have.
Here’s the thing: I don’t agree with the boycott sales just for the sake of boycotting sales and being a minimalist. I also don’t agree with spending your life savings in the name of FOMO.
I look at these sales as tools. They are a way to get things you have previously wanted or needed at a discounted price… and you know what? If it sells out, it wasn’t meant to be.
So today I thought I would share with you three things:
- What I had on my list of things to look for in this sale
- What I considered buying
- What I actually bought
This is what was on my list:
- AG denim (I love to use sales like this to look for discounted designer denim)
- a pair of booties
- Brown Belt (I was hoping for a crocodile “print”)
- Loungewear sweaters
- A pair of stretchy shorts for wearing under dresses/skirts
- A pair of “diamond” studs
- Beauty Products I use that I can pick up at a discount
- Christmas presents
I was also looking for a few other things, but I didn’t find anything I liked so I’m not going to include those here.
These are the items I looked at, but didn’t end up purchasing because they just weren’t quite right:
A few things to point out:
- Those Aquatalia boots (the brown ones) are on major discount. I seriously debated them, but ultimately they weren’t exactly what I wanted so I passed. If you’ve had them in your wish list though, they are a really good deal right now.
- The beauty products didn’t end up in my cart because I didn’t think I’d get to them in time to use them up before their expiration date (and I had just purchased a makeup eraser during Prime Day so I didn’t REALLY need two more),
- but the Paula’s Choice BHA liquid is REALLY good and I highly recommend it.
- Sisley is a beautiful skincare line and I have loved every single product I’ve tried from them… it’s also an investment (a.k.a. it’s pricey) and I didn’t want to chance wasting this set. If you are wanting to treat yourself, you really can’t go wrong with this set.
- The Madewell mustardy track pants were the only “impulse” thing I ended up looking at, and for that reason they didn’t make it into my cart… I don’t need them/really want them.
- Everything else just wasn’t exactly what I was looking for and I didn’t want to settle just because they were on sale.
So here’s what I actually bought (it’s not much):
- The croc belt was exactly what I was looking for so I was pleased to find it.
- We use up sunscreen in our house like its water, so stocking up on discounted sunscreen is always a win in my book
- I love Fresh skincare, and am currently using their soy face cleanser and rose face toner. I got this travel set because it will be perfect to pack in my hospital bag, and then I’ll just keep the masks for use whenever. A little mask tip: I don’t use masks up very fast, and I always used to find myself throwing away expired product so I started buying them in travel sizes! It works much better.
- The candles are for Christmas presents. I haven’t met a person who doesn’t like to receive a Diptyque candle, and I always like to pick up the set they do in this sale. I divide it up and give them to various people (they make GREAT gifts for teachers!)
And that’s all I got. I feel good about the purchases I did make, and I feel good about what I left behind.
In my past life, I would leave these sales with a knot in my stomach knowing that I had spent more than I wanted to, and on things I didn’t really need or want. It feels good to be able to objectively choose things that will fit seamlessly into my life and to be able to save money at the same time.
Are you shopping the sale? How have you managed it?
If you’re curious, here’s my post from last year
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you choose to shop through them I will make a small commission. Thank you for supporting Truncation!